Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Griffey Hangs 'Em Up


As I am watching the Yankees attempt to take a big lead over the Orioles, word has come down that Ken Griffey Jr. is retiring from baseball. Griffey has struggled at the plate the last three years and he has yet to hit a homer in 2010.

Griffey always had one of the sweetest swings I have ever seen in my day, which I will admit isn't very long. Still he is one of the few slugger never to garner PED suspicions and while that doesn't preclude the possibility of him using, it is nice to think that one player did it the right way during the Steroid Era.

Griffey is a no doubt Hall of Famer and its said to see him go. Although most of my Griffey memories involve him tormenting the Yankees both at the plate and in centerfield during the mid-1990s so if I conjure images of those days then it softens the play. And at least the Kid got to spend his final days as a king in the city where he saved baseball.

No comments: