Thursday, January 7, 2010

Shanahanamania!

My beloved Washington D.C. area NFL franchise hired Mike Shanahan as expected this week. I feel bad for Jim Zorn, honestly. He was hired to run the offense, a natural career move for him. Then he was thrust into the role of whipping boy for this dysfunctional franchise. Not to mention his public emasculation when play calling duties were taken from him. I think he was just ill-equipped do deal with the issues at hand and placed in a position where failure was immanent. I hope he gets a second chance somewhere else.

At least Shanahan won't be overwhelmed by the situation, that we know. He also will not be afraid to tell Dan Snyder to where to stick it if the owner starts meddling. There shouldn't be much of that hopefully since Shanahan was given full power over all football and personnel decisions.

That being said, I think Washington has at least a couple of more years of dreadful football ahead of them. They're starting over at QB, and they are still lacking offensive playmakers. Jason Campbell is probably out, and although he has been decent in spots and could still develop, he needs a new contract. He hasn't done enough for the 'Skins brass to invest anymore time or money in him. With my luck he'll probably end up a Pro Bowler in San Francisco or something. Excuse me while I wistfully peruse the SI issue from Washington's 1992 Super Bowl triumph. (Yes, I still have it.)

No comments: