Thursday, May 14, 2009

Yankees on the Rebound

I'll be honest. I didn't watch the game last night until the encore presentation this morning because of the two-hour Lost season finale. As great as it would have been to see a Yankee win finally, that finale was amazing, but I digress.

You can't really blame the Yanks for losing to Roy Halladay Tuesday night, I mean it's Roy Halladay. The guy is a beast, and though you would like to see a better effort from Burnett, I don't think anyone expected him to measure up to one of the Gold Standard pitchers in the game.

For once the Yanks scored the majority of their runs without the benefit of the long ball. Although they have put up a ton of runs this season, I think that their inability to hit with men in scoring position has seriously curtailed their ability to win close games, the few they have had.

It was a good win against a pitcher the Yankees need to beat with a lineup that was below its normal strength with Derek Jeter and Hideki Matsui sitting on the bench with nagging injuries. We will know if Matsui's hamstring is really bad tonight if he sits against Blue Jay starter Brian Tallet. The hobbled DH is 6-9 off of the lefty with four extra base hits.

FYI... Brett Gardner has more homers in fewer at bats this season than David Ortiz. Kinda puts the size of Big Papi's slump is into perspective.

4 comments:

Dan said...

Ouch. That Gardner crack sure hurts.

Dennis said...

Chan Ho park also has hit more home runs this season than David Ortiz.

Dan said...

Thanks... 'preciate it.

Joe said...

You guys stole my idea for my next post I guess that is what I get for being lazy. Here are a few.
Nick Swisher has more strikeouts pitching than papi homeruns. Youk has more trips to the DL than Papi homeruns. Jacoby has stolen home more times than Papi has hit homeruns, etc.