Thursday, October 9, 2008

ALCS/NLCS Predictions

I picked 3 of 4 of the divison series winners so I thought I would continue the trend with the CS starting tonight.

Phillies vs. Dodgers: If Manny doesn't get the Pujols treatment in this series then the Phillies deserve to lose. Before Manny got to LA the Dodgers were an AVERAGE team. So if I am the Phillies, I like my chances. Philly has a more balanced line-up than the Cubs with Utley, J-Roll Howard, Burell. It is safe to say they will score more runs than the "tight as a drum Cubs" did last week. Cole Hamels is probably the 2nd best pitcher left in the playoffs and wins 2 games for the Phils. Brett Myers will be great one game and awful in another. And Jaime Moyer or Joe Blanton will somehow win a game. Lidge worries me a little, but I think the Phils score enough runs in 2 games to take the pressure off the bullpen. Unfortunately, Fox won't get its dream matchup of Manny, Nomar, D-Lowe and Torre returning to Boston. Phillies in 6.

Red Sox vs. Rays: This series should be a whopper. I won't be surprised no matter who wins. They Sox have the edge with their line-up, closer, ace, and experience. The Rays have defense, middle relief, homefield advantage, and the confidence of youth playing with house money. I won't get into the match-ups blah blah blah because these teams know exactly what they are up against. It comes down to execution and psychology. Some say the Rays don't need experience, but we haven't seen the Rays face a whole lot of adversity. Let's see what happens when they are down 3-1 or 2-0 and have to win in Fenway. I am not saying that will happen, but if it does, it could be a problem. The Sox just need to split the first two. Also, the Rays have home-field and they are great at the Trop because everything is fast and they are a fast team. They are baseball's version of "the greatest show on turf". But can someone please notice that the Trop will be 40% Sox fans because those blue hairs from Boston love those Florida tax breaks. With the rotations set and "Jon Lester I beat Cancer" (that is officially his new legal name) on the hill I somehow see a Sox VICTORY, but I am not biased at all. Sox in 7.

No comments: