Monday, September 29, 2008

Playoff Preview

So it begins on Wednesday night. It's going to be difficult for me to watch all or most of any of the Sox games in Boston, never mind the ones in California. I must admit, I am worried that Beckett seems to be breaking down at the worst time. Some pitchers can tough it out through injuries and still give a good performance. Beckett is not one of those pitchers. Believe me, I am not questioning his toughness, just his ability to be effective with an injury. With Beckett, it seems that everything has to be aligned and feeling loose for him to be his best. He will definitely pitch through injuries, but it seems like every time he does, he's out of the game by the fourth inning. We'll know very quickly in game 3 how well he is doing.

I have no concerns, however, with John Lester pitching game one. He has been the defacto ace for the Sox this season despite Dice-K's 18 wins and sub 3.00 ERA. It's just unfortunate that Lester has in unenviable task of squaring off with John Lackey, who I think is extremely underrated.

The Angels might be better equiped to handle the post-season this year, but in spite of their dominance this season, I remain somewhat skeptical. Although they've had several playoff opportunities, they haven't shown me anything since the 2002 World Series years. Of course, I may live to regret saying that.

No comments: