Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Byrd Holds Off Birds

Another solid outing from Paul Byrd allowed the Sox to continue their winning ways.  Is he Sandy Koufax?  No, but Byrd is doing exactly what the Sox hoped of him, eating innings and keeping Boston in winnable situations when he pitches.

I like this pattern Boston is in: 2-of-3 from New York, 2-of-3 from Chicago.  Now they've taken the first game from Baltimore in this series.  Unfortunately, they seem to have let the division get away from them, but I don't think they care about that as much.  They are holding firm to their Wild Card position, and once they're in, I think it's actually the Red Sox who will be the most feared team in the American League draw.  I'm still not scared of the Angels until they show me they're not an also ran like every year since 2002.  Nay sayers will point to the Sox injuries as a reason they won't repeat, but they seem to have galvanized this team.

As I said a week or so ago, the Sox may end up an early playoff exit.  There are many reasons to believe this in the absence of Beckett, Lowell, and even JD Drew.  The fact that they are heating up now gives me hope, even though in the playoffs everything you've done gets re-set to zero. 

No comments: