Friday, June 6, 2008

Fight Night At Fenway

I love to see a first place team get pissed and start a real cock fight. CoCo was justified and I am glad things were settled on the field. The Sox won the game and that makes 6 in a row against the Rays. Hopefully the Rays will come back to earth after this series.

As for the fight between Manny and Youk, I heard through the grapevine that Youk was upset Manny took his time getting into the brawl and said something about it. I have to take Manny's side on this one. About 30 people already had CoCo's back, and the last thing the Red Sox need is Manny on the DL with a herniated disk from body slamming Evan Longoria. I like Youk, but it is not his place. If Coco wanted to say something, fine. Even if V-Tek wants to get involved, fine. Youk doesn't need to get involved. I guess this is one of those stories that we will never really know what happened. (Useless Manny decides to write a tell all book) We will see if this has any lasting effects on the team in the next couple weeks. I say no.

5 comments:

Dennis said...

Turns out it was Manny who was mad at Youklis. Apparently, when Youklis has a poor AB, he comes into the dugout pissed off and throwing stuff. Some members of the team think that this shows too much concern with individual stats and not enough with the team. According to reports, Ramirez is not the first player to say something to Youklis about this.

Dan said...

Youk definitely wears his heart on his sleeve. I think it shows a desire to succeed. It could be thought of as slightly childish, I suppose. A baseball teams offense doesn't depend on teamwork in the same way as other sports. Basically you're out on an island, and you get your individual job done or you don't. If Youk is upset at a bad AB I think in general there is nothing wrong with that. But I think it's tough to last in a game like baseball if you let every little failure get the best of you.

Joe said...

So, I heard the same story. The story wasn't clear for a few days.

Dennis said...

Dan, we react differently depending on who has done it. If it is a young player, especially if he is black or Latin American, he is immature, childish, or worse. But if it is an overweight white guy everyone loves, he is just showing passion.

My personal opinion is that on a team that has won two world series in the last five years and expects to win more no one should be throwing tantrums about a K in the 3rd inning of game in June.

Dan said...

I agree that there can be double standards in how behavior is perceived in sports. You make a valid point. But I guess I personally don't care that much how Youk or anyone else deals with striking out. If Youk's teammates don't like it, they are certainly free to express that, and Manny did. These squabbles happen.